Okay... I'm not much on year-end lists and as far as I'm concerned, New Year's Eve is amateur night, but this year burned me out, so I'm writing off this damnable 365, this annas horribilis, with a "good effing-riddance".
The only good out of this year was that none of my (many) friends or (few) family died, and all, including Cooper, Sparky and Capt. Jack, are in good health.
Casualties are extremely low in Iraq and we're concentrating on Afghanistan; our great troops have succeeded despite the efforts of the democrat surrender monkeys to undermine the war. Take that Murtha, you piece of crap.
A real bonus was seeing the tide finally turned against the horror of "man-made global warming."
If you continue to believe it's a grave problem that we must spend trillions on, then you are an idiot.
My gray hair seems to be coming in at a very slow rate of speed. I've long since given up on my beard and mustache. On the up side, I have hair.
Speaking of hair(plugs), Joe Biden was elected VP... this guarantees a four years of non-stop belly laughs.
The Second Amendment was re-affirmed (more or less) by the Supreme Court in Heller, and the IDF is steady killing ragheads again.
Colt is still making firearms and the supply of whisky seems to be holding out.
On the other hand:
- Yankee Stadium is no more; worse, I never saw a game there--just one of my regrets. And Bobby Murcer passed away.
- The wrong candidate was elected president.
- Hillary Clinton (and therefore her dumbass husband) continue in the limelight. BTW, she (who for good reason) has been named Bumbler of the Year for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the primaries.
- John McCain was a far worse candidate than I assumed.
- I was (and thus must remain) in the stock market.
- Cindy took a powder, but we remain friendly.
And so what of the future... 2009? Whothehellknows?
But I'll hazard a few things...
- We'll sustain a major terrorist provocation/attack here or against our embassies or military within the first six months of The Obamanation. Obama will respond with limited, just adequate force and the moonbat left will go apoplectic. Cindy Sheen will make a brief return to the spotlight.
- It will be at least a year before the left slacks off blaming anything and everything on George Bush.
- Bush Derangement Syndrome will begin to shift to Jeb Bush.
- If Bibi Netanyahu returns to power, Israel will take out Iran's nuke facilities.
In the world of entertainment, the remake of 1951's "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (which has Klaatu and Gort arriving here to warn Earth about nuclear weapons and the consequences should we continue in our bellicose way) is a travesty.
One big long propaganda piece not about nuclear wear, but yes..... GLOBAL WARMING!!!! If we do not stop killing Mum Nature, the 2008 alien tag team will blow us to smithereens.
And you thought "Happy Feet" was brainwashing.
This will no doubt spawn an unfortunate trend among brain-dead Hollywierd lefties.
"Gone with the Wind" (left unmolested since 1939) will be remade as "Gone North with the Wind" which features Rhett running an underground railroad that takes draft-dodgers to Quebec where they undergo surrender training and French classes.
"Frankly Scarlett... fiddle-dee-dee. War, war, war; this war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring. I get so bored I could scream. Besides... there isn't going to be any war."
The two leaders in the redoubt, Travis and Bowie, have a falling out over whether or not family values stop at the Rio Grande.
Travis finally convinces the small garrison to surrender and tells Santa Anna where Sam Houston is mobilizing his troops.
"It's a Wonderful Life' is remade as "The Wonderful Ramadan"; George Bailey converts to Islam and begins to build a mosque with all the deposits from his savings and loan.
Bedford Falls residents protest and are summarily beheaded in City Park.
There are no hearts, brains or courage to be found.
Lastly, here's an obligatory slide show of notable passings in 2008; as always there are some surprises, even in this 24-7 news cycle in which we live.
Death to our enemies, and may we all have a better next year.
Sorry, here's one more: not only can't ragheads shoot... they can't spell: